Refugees and asylum seekers arriving in Bromsgrove and Redditch can have little access to support and may feel isolated, especially if they can’t speak English. So we provide a variety of events where refugees from the same country can meet together, form new relationships, learn English and receive a range of support and friendship from volunteers.
- Twice weekly English lessons provided for Afghans staying at the Bromsgrove Hotel in Bromsgrove
- Weekly sessions providing English lessons plus general support and friendship for Ukrainians, in Bromsgrove and Redditch
- Provision of social events and outings to improve wellbeing and provide opportunities for meeting up for all refugee families
- Fundraising events to pay for everything we do and provide.
- Education initiatives raising awareness through presentations and workshops in schools and in the community, promoting inclusion and cultural diversity.
- A focus on empowerment is integral to our approach as BRWR befrienders.
- Helping refugee families and asylum seekers to understand cultural norms in the UK. Helping them to negotiate their way through UK systems in line with how things are done in the UK, and to access appropriate specialised support as required.
- Give support with form filling, which can be particularly challenging at times.
- House moves, general DIY and support with domestic practicalities e.g., help families to find items needed for their homes
- We’re always on the lookout for good quality pre-loved clothes which are very much appreciated by the families.