On 24th February Vladimir Putin invaded Ukraine. As a result of Putin’s horrendous actions, there is a new refugee crisis in Europe, with over two million Ukrainians displaced from their homes. Across Ukraine’s western borders, there are mainly women and children seeking safety outside of their country. Below is a list of ways that people from Redditch and Bromsgrove can help:
1. The Redditch branch of WOSP, a national Polish charity, is organising a collection of goods to be transported to the Polish border towns receiving thousands of Ukrainian refugees. These include:
- Shower gel, shampoo, soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste, sanitary towels and tampons, nappies, washing liquid, washing up liquid
- Dressings for wounds and burns, sterile bandages, disinfectant, disposable gloves, scissors for dressings.
- Clothing, new or in very good condition for cold weather, including hats, scarves, gloves, socks, shoes, sweatshirts and warm coats. No other clothing please
- Batteries, torches and candles
Donations to be delivered directly to: Steam Detailing and Valeting, Unit 6, Phoenix Works, Windsor Road, Redditch B97 6DJ.
Transport is funded and organised for delivery of donations.
2. Redditch people who have family in Ukraine and want to bring them to the UK – contact Rachel Maclean MP (via Josh in Rachel’s Redditch office). Rachel and her staff are wanting to help in whatever way they can.
3. A former pupil of Jeff Farnes is in Romania working with a Christian missionary organisation and is currently able to enter Ukraine to deliver supplies to those queuing to leave. They are appealing for blankets and camp beds – via Nicky at the Ecumencial Centre Redditch tel : 01527 65952
4. Bromsgrove Donations: to the Hop Pole Inn between 12 noon and 11pm (NB this venue may change after Sunday)
This appeal is for shower gels, shampoos, soaps, toothbrushes and toothpastes, protective creams, sanitary towels, baby wipes, childrens paracetamol, ibuprofen
5. Financial donations can be made to the British Red Cross Ukraine Crisis appeal to support the work of the Ukrainian Red Cross. Go to The British Red Cross | Worldwide Humanitarian Charity and follow the link.
Slava Ukraini – Glory to Ukraine